Friday, May 14, 2010

Between Reviews: Yay!!!

Guess what, people?(On second thoughts don't,I want to tell you myself)Chapter One of the seventh Artemis Fowl book is FINALLY out!! Yay!!(waves streamers around like an idiot)I've been wanting to read this SO much!!

(I apologise for the possibly unsettling excitement of this post. Not having enough sleep and then reading a chapter from the latest book from the series you love so much make a very bad combination)

Almost everyone has heard of Eoin Colfer's series of books for young adults, the enjoyable Artemis Fowl stories.(And if not, where have you been all these years? Go to your nearest bookshop/library and get them NOW!)I personally think that they are some of the funniest books that have been written ever, and better than even Harry Potter(whose plot I lost halfway through the sixth book and could never pick up again).

So, the first chapter has been released(available in pdf format here).Available with the chapter is the book cover, which is impressive, to say the least. It's basically got a shot of Artemis swimming through water(fully clothed,so don't worry parents)with plenty of bubbles surrounding him. And under him is the title "Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex" and the words "Out 20 July 2010" (my inner fangirl let out a loud shriek upon reading this, causing my brother to give me a "is-she-out-of-her-mind" look. Only slightly more than two months until I can read the entire book!)

(I just love parentheses)

One thing I noticed about the first chapter is the speed at which it moves along compared to the previous books, like there's some hurry to get it down and done(ooh, did I just invent a new phrase? I hope so). Another thing is Artemis actually realising that he has a mental disorder.(My inner cynic: Wait, you've got a mental disorder and you realise it now?I'm assuming that he's had the mental disorder for a few months. So,a few months and he realises this now? And he's supposed to have one of the highest tested IQs in Europe? Give me a break)

The mental disorder's name is revealed as well, so no spending the entire book going "let's keep running around till we find out exactly what mental disorder you've got". However, I think it's revealed a little too quickly. How does Holly know that it's specifically the Atlantis Complex? It could be anything. The chapter also contains plenty of action and a possible death.

So there's my opinion of the first chapter of book 7 of the Artemis Fowl series. Breathless and exciting. Hopefully the rest of the book will be as good, if not better.

No comments:

Post a Comment